Here’s a fun way to present your little princess with a pint-size bouquet on her special day — in lieu of a classic cake, serve up a batch of bite-size cupcakes topped with pretty pink and purple flowers. Baked in a mini cupcake pan, these little confections are just right for a royal first birthday.
- Batch of mini cupcakes baked in pink mini cupcake liners*
- White or pink frosting and pastry bag for piping it on the cupcakes
- White fondant
- Gel food coloring, pink and lavender
- Food preparation gloves (for tinting the fondant)
- White sugar pearls
- Wax paper
- Powdered sugar
- Rolling pin
- Tiny flower-shaped fondant or aspic cutter
* If you’re using cake mix, a half box will yield two dozen mini cupcakes. For the liners, look in the baking aisle of craft/party stores, or online.
1. Cut a couple of 2-inch blocks from the white fondant. Knead a bit of pink food coloring into one of them and lavender food coloring into the other.
2. Working on powdered sugar-dusted wax paper, roll out both fondant colors to about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thickness.
3. Use the fondant or aspic cutter to cut a bunch of tiny flower shapes from the rolled fondants.
4. Use the end of a toothpick to push a sugar pearl partway into the fondant in the center of each flower.
5. Pipe a generous mound of frosting atop each of the cupcakes and then embellish them with the fondant flowers.
For more Princess fun, check out the official Disney Princess site.