Fashioned from stiff orange felt, this bright-colored cone cap will let the birthday boy cruise into the party zone in style.
For each hat, you’ll need:
- Template for Felt Road Cone Party Hat
- Straight pins
- 2 sheets stiff orange felt
- Hot glue gun
- Thin elastic (for a chin strap)
1. Print out the template and use the pieces as patterns to cut out the shapes from stiff orange felt.
2. With the base template still pinned to the felt, cut out the center circle. Tip: It’s easier to get started if you fold the base in half and snip into the center, as shown. Then cut a series of notches (about 1/2 inch deep and 1/2 inch apart) in the center ring. Remove the template from the felt.
3. Shape the cone, overlapping the sides and pinning them together. The cone base diameter should measure about 3¾ inches. Hot glue the overlapped edges, and remove the pins.
4. Attach the base to the cone by gluing the tabs to the inner hat, as shown.
5. Snip the top of the cone about 3/8 inch from the top to create a round opening.
6. Cut a length of thin elastic for a chin strap, and knot the ends. Hot glue the knots to the underside of the felt cone base. Then hot glue a small square of felt over each of the knots.
For more Cars fun, check out the official Cars site.