As delivery day gets closer, I’m getting more and more ready to meet my baby girl. I haven’t yet started packing my hospital bag, but I do have a running list of what needs to go in there and a little pile of things that are ready to go.
With each pregnancy, it seems I’m taking less and less to the hospital. So many websites have recommendations on what to pack, but honestly, a lot of it isn’t necessary. The less you have to take in with you, the better. Plus, you’ll have even more to take home once the baby is born. People will bring flowers and gifts and you’ll have a loot of newborn stuff, too!
If you can fit everything in a small rolling bag or suitcase, that’s great! Here’s what I’m packing in my hospital bag (and what I’m not)…
- My ID
- My short & sweet birth plan
- Camera & charger
- Computer & charger
- Phone & charger
- Essential toiletries (toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, etc.) Advertisement
- Nursing bra (I’ll try to wear this there, if I can!)
- Comfy clothes with easy access for nursing
- Good socks or slippers
- A journal or guest book – quite possibly my best recommendation so you can remember tidbits from labor and who came to visit!
- A few snacks for afterwards
- A good DVD or two to distract me (HA) from labor (I recommend a Beyoncé concert!)
- An outfit to wear home (maternity or yoga pants)
- Baby girl’s take-home outfit
- Car seat (It’s already in the car!)
Here are some things that are often recommended, but that I find unnecessary — either because the hospital already provides it or because it just won’t get used…
- A razor
- New PJs
- A breast pump
- A nursing pillow
- A clock
- Diapers and wipes
- Reading material
- Diaper bag
What are your MUST-HAVE items for the hospital? What do you wish you would have left at home?