Names inspired by nature, or those having a very carefree, earthy feel to them were popular in the ’60s, and I’ve noticed that quite a few of them are beginning to make a comeback. Celebrities are notorious for choosing unique names for their little ones, and more than several have chosen bohemian names for their children.
Looking for something a little groovy, baby? Here are 60 wonderfully bohemian-inspired names for your little guy or girl!
1. Dusk – in between day and night.
2. Blaze – a flame.
3. Clover – a sweet smelling (and tasting) flower, as well as a traditional symbol of luck, comfort and wealth.
4. Essence – perfume, or the fundamental quality to one’s life.
5. Spirit – has various meanings, ranging from breath to sacred.
6. Ocean – of Greek origin, meaning “sea.”
7. Storm – besides its obvious meaning, the Old English variant means “tempest.”
8. Rain – a fresh blessing from up above. ;)
9. Blue – reminiscent of the sky; Beyonce named her daughter Blue Ivy.
10. Earth – like the planet we live in, this name is strong and solid.
11. Cloud – conjures the feeling of lightness and being as close to the heavens as you can possibly get.
12. Coriander – an herb used mostly in Indian and Asian dishes. It’s also a great unisex name.
13. Petal – as in the petal of a flower. Also the name of Jamie Oliver’s daughter.
14. Honey – naturally sweet!
15. Freedom – to be liberated.
16. Maya – there are different meanings for Maya, ranging from spiritual to traditional (also a form of May).
17. Paisley – a Scottish name, as well a popular fabric design pattern that was “all the rage” during the ’60s and ’70s.
18. Stone – solid as a rock!
19. Patchouli – if the ’60s had an official scent, Patchouli would be that one. Sweet, spicy, and musty, with relaxing and soothing properties.
20. Autumn – one of the four seasons.
21. Flow – to move freely.
22. Flight – to fly!
23. Opal – a gemstone.
24. Aura – a metaphysical word used to describe the energetic atmosphere surrounding each and every individual.
25. Starshine – a variant of Star, this one is a little more glittery and glitzy ;).
26. Xavier – meaning “new house.”
27. Echo – a reverberating sound.
28. Breeze – gentle, pleasing wind.
29. Summer – the warmest season of the year.
30. Windsong – a pretty girls’ name, combining both wind and song.
31. Deja – of French origin, meaning “already seen.”
32. Halo – Greek; meaning a circle of light, or an aura, surrounding an angel or a holy person.
33. China – as in the country.
34. Lyric – the words to a song or hymn.
35. Butterfly – beautiful, free and fluttering!
36. Willow – a tree that sways in the breeze and brings peace and harmony.
37. Destiny – a person’s fortune or fate.
38. Mist – a cloud of fine droplets of water that falls near the surface of the earth.
39. Sky – look up! ;)
40. Cosmic – vastness, in relation to the universe.
41. Zen – to be at peace.
42. Marigold – a bright and sunny flower, often used in gardens and garlands.
43. Saffron – a spice used quite a bit in Indian cuisine; also a popular color in the “hippie” days.
44. Joy – pure and utter happiness.
45. Raven – a large crow.
46. Chakra – of Indian origin and thought; centers of spiritual power in the body.
47. Blossom – a flower.
48. Peace – tranquility and calm.
49. Ziggy – a German name made famous by the musician Ziggy Marley.
50. Natura – inspired by nature.
51. Honesty – a feel-good, virtuous name.
52. Fern – a non-flowering plant.
53. Star – bright and inspirational!
54. Harmony – a beautiful and musical combination or compilation.
55. Rainbow – the rainbow comes at the end of the storm; a multi-coloured sign of hope.
56. Moon – calm, cool, and glowing with life.
57. Flower – sweet, beautiful, and pretty.
58. Sunny – bright and happy!
59. Daydream – happy thoughts.
60. Shea – Irish for “majestic.”