Ingrid’s second birthday is coming up, so I’ve got party planning on the mind. I have to admit, I love planning birthday parties. I love coming up with a theme and finding or making invitations, decor, and food to match. When she turned 1, we threw her a Birthday Bunny Brunch. It was adorable and so much fun to put together. This year, we are planning a book themed birthday party. (I’ll be sure to share it here, next month!) When it comes to party planning, I know it can be overwhelming. However, I truly believe that you can plan a simple but totally adorable party with these 5 tips…
- Have the party at home. The cost to rent a place for a party can be pretty expensive. By having the party at your own house, you can save a lot! Not to mention, the set-up and take down is loads easier! Advertisement
- Make the decorations yourself. With blogs and Pinterest, the DIY-decor is a no-brainer. Even those that don’t consider themselves to be crafty can put together a stunning display on the cheap! (With a few simple items, we created the prettiest brunch table!)
- Make the food yourself. Again, this is a no-brainer. From appetizers and cute sandwiches to cupcakes and birthday cake, you can totally do it yourself. The options are endless! (For my daughter’s birthday last October, we served sack lunches!)
- Set a limit on gifts. There seems to be pressure to spoil our children rotten, especially on their birthdays. But I think it’s okay to set a limit (either a price or a number) and stick to it. We typically give 3 main gifts – something to wear, something to read, and something to play with. When friends and family are giving gifts, too, our little rule of 3 is just fine. And it makes us search for just the perfect things. Babies especially get so overwhelmed with a huge number of gifts.
- Keep it simple. There’s no reason to invite a huge crowd or hire a DJ for your baby’s birthday party. The simpler it is, the more meaningful it will be, too. I promise you that! (We managed to put together this DIY movie screen for less than $15!)