Around this house, we LOVE musicals. OK, maybe my husband doesn’t love them quite as much as the rest of us (i.e. at all), but my toddler and I are big fans.
When I was a kid, my favorite movies were Annie and The Sound of Music. I still have the words to all the songs memorized, and I have a feeling that my little one may follow in my footsteps. She loves to sing, and while she’s still too little to sit through a musical, we definitely listen to the soundtracks to our favorites quite often.
Lately, it’s gotten me thinking that Broadway musicals would make a great source of inspiration for a baby names list! These names would be perfect for musical-loving parents, but even if you aren’t, there are some pretty great names here.
1. Clara – This is the name of a character from Porgy and Bess, and although I’ve never actually seen it, I’m a big fan of Gershwin’s music and many of the songs from this musical. I think Clara is a sweet name for a little girl and definitely a bit off the radar.
2. Penny – The quirky best friend to Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray, and an adorable name for a little lady.
3. Amos – I’ve always loved the name Amos, and while making this list, I remembered that it was the name of Roxie Hart’s husband in Chicago.
4. Nellie – Rodgers and Hammerstein’s South Pacific is another musical that I have on my “to see” list, and Nellie is one of the main characters. I’ve always thought Nellie was a fun name and could be a nice nickname for those who like the name Eleanor.
5. Emile – Emile De Becque is the name of the French plantation owner who falls in love with Nellie in South Pacific. This is a great gender neutral name, although I think I’m partial to using it as a boy’s name.
6. Jet – The name Jet comes from Westside Story as it is the name of one of the gangs: The Jets. A cool boy’s name with a “tough guy” vibe.
7. Cosette – The daughter of Fantine, an unwed mother in the musical Les Miserables. A very lovely and feminine name.
8. Annie – My all-time favorite musical. Couldn’t leave out Annie!
9. Pepper – One of the orphans in the musical Annie. This name would definitely be fun and unexpected.
10. Molly – One of the orphans in the musical Annie. I’ve always adored the name Molly. Sweet and simple and so cute!
11. Frankie – As in Frankie Valli of The Four Seasons in the musical Jersey Boys.
12. Larkin – Who could forget the dreamy Link Larkin of Hairspray? Last names as first names are a great trend!
13. Rydell – Inspired by Rydell High School from the musical Grease. A cool option for a girl or a boy.
14. Adelaide – Miss Adelaide of the musical Guys and Dolls might make for a sweet girl’s name – Addy for short!
15. Eliza – If you are an Audrey Hepburn fan, perhaps you might consider a nod to her character Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady as an inspiration for your little lady.
16. Flynn – Another last name used as a first name and a nod to Billy Flynn, the lawyer in Chicago.
17. Roxie – Roxie is a spunky name for a little girl and the name of Roxie Hart one of the main characters in Chicago.
18. Oliver – The namesake of the musical Oliver and a nice vintage name for a little boy.
19. Nessa – Nessarose “Nessa” Thropp is the Wicked Witch of the East in Wicked, and I love the name Nessa for a little girl.
20. Dorothy – Everyone knows who Dorothy Gale of Kansas is in the musical Wicked. A less-often used little girl name with vintage flair.
21. Benny – Benjamin (Benny) Coffin of Rent. I like Benny as a fun alternative to the name Benjamin.
22. Louisa – One of the Von Trapp children in The Sound of Music.
23. Gretel – One of the Von Trapp children in The Sound of Music. All of the Von Trapp children have cute names, but Gretel was always my favorite.
24. Levi – The last name of Dolly Levi of Hello Dolly. Fun fact: My first official date with my husband was the see Hello Dolly. I tried to sell him on the name Levi for a little boy, but I couldn’t win him over. I love it though.
25. Belle – The lovely beauty of Beauty & the Beast and a fun name for a little girl that actually means beauty.
26. Nala – Simba’s lioness best buddy and future love in The Lion King. An off-the-beaten-path baby name option for sure.
27. Finch – One of the characters in the Broadway musical Newsies.
28. June – The name of Gypsy Rose Lee’s sister, Baby June, in Gypsy. It was on my shortlist of baby girl names.
29. Lucy – While the musical Sweeney Todd may be a bit dark, the name Lucy (i.e. Lucy Barker, wife of Benjamin Barker — a.k.a. “Sweeney Todd”) is bright and cheery.
30. Birdie – Conrad Birdie was the dreamboat that had all the girls swooning in Bye Bye Birdie. I love the idea of using his last name as a first name for a little girl.