As Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, and the Fourth of July approach, I’m feeling extra patriotic and thinking about baby names that are inspired by the military.
There are so many good ones!
I love the associations these names have – they’re strong, brave, resilient — and they’ll stand the test of time.
Here are 16 of my favorites.
1. Honor – With old-fashioned names making a serious comeback in the last few years, this is a perfect one for your little girl.
2. Navy – I pushed really hard for this name for both of our last two daughters, unsuccessfully, but it’s still one of my all-time favorite girl names.
3. March – While other months get a lot of name love (April and June, especially), I love this punchy one for an energetic little lady.
4. Sailor – This gorgeous girl name conjures up images of dress whites and bib collars, and I couldn’t love it more.
5. Marine – This one is similar to popular names like Mary and Marie, but with a distinctive flair that I really like.
6. Scout – Aside from the military associations, how can you not love this name from the spunky heroine of To Kill a Mockingbird?
7. Florence – Who doesn’t love the story of Florence Nightingale and her medical work with soldiers on the battlefield?
8. Hale – This one makes me think of the famous Revolutionary War soldier Nathan Hale, plus “Hail to the Chief” for a double-dose of military pride.
1. Cannon – This popular boy name is perfect for anyone who loves the military and wants something strong.
2. Lance – A lance is a spear for a knight or other mounted soldier, and it’s such a great, modern name.
3. Jet – If you’re looking for something short and full of energy, it doesn’t get better than this trendy name!
4. Major – This military rank is just above Captain, which I think also makes a fantastic baby name.
5. Pilot – If you choose this name for your little guy, be prepared for lots of zipping them around the house like an airplane.
6. Knox – Fort Knox makes a great source for a name; this is one of my favorite current boy names.
7. Crew – This name just makes you feel like your little man is part of your own family crew.
8. Sergeant – If you like names that are a little out of the ordinary but not made up, this is perfect.