It’s no secret us mamas have to do it all — multitasking is an artform, one that I know my husband could not master! When people who do not have children say, “I don’t know how you do it” or “I couldn’t handle that” my response is “You JUST DO IT.” And you do, all moms know that.
A few weeks ago my brother came over and I was in the kitchen, holding Little L. She has moments when she only wants to be held and just won’t stop crying when she is put down.
I was getting M’s dinner ready so I reached up to get a cup, walked to the fridge, opened it, reached in, got out a gallon of milk, unscrewed the cap, poured the milk, capped it, grabbed a straw from the cabinet, and then gave to my son. My brother stared at me in absolute amazement saying “That is crazy! How did you just do all that with ONE HAND?”
I looked at him and said “Anything you can do, I can do one-handed. I don’t have a choice!” and we both just laughed. But naturally that got me thinking of all the things that I do with one hand throughout the day — it’s multitasking on a whole new level!
Here’s my list of ten things I can do one-handed:
1. Brush my son’s teeth and my own with baby in arms!
2. Open a can of beans. Yes, I promise you I can do this and do it well!
3. Give Little L her milk with one hand and have my lunch with the other.
4. Help M get dressed, shoes included!
5. Respond to emails on my iPhone.
6. Separate a coffee filter, place it in coffee maker, scoop coffee, pour water then drink my coffee!
7. Take out the recycling bins.
8. Wash M’s face and brush his hair.
9. Tidy up M’s room.
10. Make my bed!
There are many other things I’ve learned to do with one hand — and yes! I am always careful and my child’s safety comes first.
What things can YOU do with one hand?