Half gift, half decoration — this whimsical polka-dotted parcel will have the expectant mother and guests alike grinning from ear to ear.
- 54 Huggies (Little Snugglers) diapers
- 54 small rubber bands
- 10 large rubber bands
- Three 7-inch-long wooden dowel lengths
- Hot glue gun
- Assorted blue, pink, and orange flat ribbons (solid colored and polka-dotted)
- Blue, pink, and orange curling ribbon
- Template for Mickey and Minnie Diaper Cake
- Craft paper (black, blue, and pink)
- Glue dots
- 2 white buttons
1. One at a time, open each diaper, roll it up snuggly, and secure it with a small rubber band.
2. Now create the top layer of the “cake” by standing a single rolled diaper on end and encircling it with five more. Bind the six diapers together with two large rubber bands, positioning one band an inch or so from the top of the diaper circle and the other equidistant from the bottom. Next, arrange twelve additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place with another pair of large rubber bands. Tip: Face the loose ends of the rolled diapers toward the center of the cake so the outside looks smooth and uniform.
3. For the bottom layer, repeat step 2. Then arrange eighteen additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place.
4. Stack the two cake layers and secure them together by inserting the wooden dowel lengths between the diapers in three places and gently pushing them down so that the tops are level with the cake top.
5. Decorate the assembled cake by tightly wrapping long lengths of the flat ribbons around each of the two layers, using a bit of hot glue to hold the overlapped ends together.
6. Print the template and use the pieces to cut out the shapes from the specified shades of craft paper. Glue the blue Mickey and pink Minnie heads onto black backings. Then use a glue dot to stick a thin piece of ribbon to the back of each assembled head. Tuck the ribbon ends between the diapers at the top of the cake, letting the mouse heads dangle over the side
7. Embellish the cake top with lengths of curled ribbon, if you like, simply tucking the centers between the diapers and allowing the ends to drape over the side. For the finishing touch, use glue dots to stick the pair of white buttons to one of the ribbons on the front of the cake.
For more Mickey and Minnie fun, check out the official Mickey Mouse site.
|For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|