Embellished with giraffe spots, zebra stripes, and baby lion paw prints, this gift cake stacks up as a perfect present for the newest addition to the pride.
- 55 Huggies (Little Snugglers) diapers
- 55 small rubber bands
- 10 large rubber bands
- Three 7-inch-long wooden dowel lengths
- Zebra- and/or giraffe-patterned ribbon
- Template for Lion King Diaper Cake
- Tan cardstock
- 6-inch circle cut from zebra- or giraffe-patterned paper
- Hot glue gun
- 2 or 3 glue dots
- Miniature plastic toy safari animals
1. One at a time, open each diaper, roll it up snuggly, and secure it with a small rubber band.
2. Now create the top layer of the “cake” by standing a single rolled diaper on end and encircling it with five more. Bind the six diapers together with two large rubber bands, positioning one band an inch or so from the top of the diaper circle and the other equidistant from the bottom. Next, arrange twelve additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place with another pair of large rubber bands. Tip: Face the loose ends of the rolled diapers toward the center of the cake so the outside looks smooth and uniform.
3. For the bottom layer, repeat step 2. Then arrange eighteen additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place.
4. Stack the two cake layers and secure them together by inserting the wooden dowel lengths between the diapers in three places and gently pushing them down so that the tops are level with the cake top.
5. Decorate the assembled cake by tightly wrapping long strips of the patterned ribbon around each of the two layers, using a bit of hot glue to hold the overlapped ends together. Next, tie several strands of raffia around the top ribbon.
6. Print the template on tan cardstock and cut out the lion paw prints. Tuck the bottoms of the cutouts behind the raffia to create a circle of prints around the top cake layer.
7. For a cake top decoration, tie a bow around a single rolled diaper (set on its side), knotting the ribbon on the underside and leaving the ends about 6 inches long. Snip a small hole in the center of the zebra- or giraffe-patterned paper circle, and thread the ribbon ends through it. To hold the completed decoration in place, simply tuck the ribbon ends down between the diapers in the center ring at the top of the cake.
For more Lion King fun, check out the official The Lion King site.
|For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|