Lion King Cookies
Here’s a sweet treat shower guests won’t be shy about lion-ing up for.
- Batch of chocolate sugar cookie dough and batch of plain sugar cookie dough*
- Rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Round scallop-edge (flower shape) cookie cutter, about 3 inches wide
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Heart-shape cookie cutter, about 1 1/2 inches wide
- Chocolate chips
- Mini chocolate chips
- Small microwave-safe bowl
- Butter knife
- Sliced almonds
* Note: If the store bought brand of dough you use is too soft to hold the cookie shapes during baking, knead in some extra flour to stiffen it before rolling it out.
1. Roll out the chocolate cookie dough to about ¼ inch thickness on a flour-dusted sheet of wax paper. Use the scallop-edge cookie cutter to cut out a bunch of circles (these will serve as the lion manes), and bake them according to the recipe or package directions. Then transfer them to the cooling rack.
2. Next, roll out the plain cookie dough as you did the chocolate. Use the heart-shape cookie cutter to cut out a lion head for each of the manes.
3. Once you’ve arranged the dough hearts on the baking sheet, press a pair of mini chocolate chip eyes (tips down) and a regular chocolate chip nose (set on its side and facing down) into each one. Note: Be sure to orient each heart upside down so that the tip is at the top of the lion’s head and the curves form the jowls.
4. Bake the completed cookie heads and then let them to cool.
5. To complete the cookies, melt a handful of chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Use small dabs of the melted chocolate to “glue” a pair of sliced almond ears to the underside of one of the lion heads. Then use a bit more melted chocolate to stick the head atop a chocolate cookie mane. Assemble the remaining cookies in the same way, and then set them aside until the chocolate hardens again.
6. Store the cookies in a cool, dry place until serving time.
For more Lion King fun, check out the official The Lion King site.
|For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|