Cheddar Flower Crackers
Topped with piped-on cream cheese centers, these homemade flower crackers are guaranteed to be a hit with your shower guests.
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup flour
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- Wooden spoon
- Wax paper and rolling pin dusted with flour
- Flower-shaped fondant or cookie cutter (about 2 inches wide)
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Disposable pastry bag with decorative tip
- Cream cheese spread
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, cheddar cheese, butter, canola oil, salt, and paprika in a mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to pinch in the butter until the mixture uniformly resembles a coarse meal.
3. Stir the ice water into the mixture. Then gather and press the dough into a ball, kneading it just a few times to make it hold together if necessary.
4. Divide the dough in half and pat each portion into a disk. Working with one disk at a time, roll out the dough on a flour-dusted sheet of wax paper to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out as many flower-shapes as possible. Then reroll the dough scraps and cut out more flowers. Bake the crackers just until the tops start to turn golden brown (generally under 10 minutes).
5. Transfer the baked crackers to a cooling rack. Once they’ve cooled completely, store them in an airtight container until right before serving time. Then pipe a cream cheese center on each flower and arrange the crackers on a serving plate. (Makes about 3 dozen.)
For more Princess fun, check out the official Disney Princess site.
|For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|