Shaped like a baby bib, this cake, featuring Lightning McQueen’s distinctive windshield face, is bound to draw a collective cheer from your baby shower crowd.
- Baked 9- by 13-inch cake
- Wax paper
- Rectangular cake board or serving tray
- Template for Lightning McQueen Bib Cake
- Kitchen knife (for cutting the cake and the fondant)
- Pastry brush
- Red frosting
- Spatula for frosting the cake
- Prepared white fondant
- Gel food coloring (yellow and black)
- Food preparation gloves (for kneading food coloring into the fondant)
- Rolling pin
- 1-inch round fondant cutter
- Small yellow hard-shelled candy (for the bib snap)
1. Place the cake on a wax paper-covered cake board or serving tray.
2. Print the template and cut out the pieces. Tape the two bib halves together as indicated on the template. Use the completed template as a pattern for trimming the cake into a bib shape. Sweep any stray crumbs away with a dry pastry brush.
3. Spread an initial coat of red frosting on the top and sides of the cake, just thick enough to seal in the crumbs. Set the cake aside for a while to allow the frosting to harden. Then spread on a second coat of frosting.
4. Roll out a 2-inch square of white fondant between sheets of wax paper to create a rectangle about 5- by 8-inches and 3/8 inch thick. Use the template pieces and a kitchen knife to cut a windshield and mouth from the fondant. Use the 1-inch round fondant cutter to cut holes in the windshield where the eyes will go.
5. Position the windshield and mouth atop the bib cake and then press them down slightly just enough to stick them in place.
6. Tint a small hunk of the scrap fondant black and another small hunk yellow. Roll out each color to a 3/8 inch thickness. Then cut two 1-inch circles from the black fondant for eyes and fit them into the holes in the windshield.
7. Roll out the yellow fondant and use the template piece as a pattern for cutting out a pair of headlights. Gently press the headlights in place atop the cake.
8. For the finishing touch, press the yellow hard-shelled candy “snap” partway into the frosting at the top of bib.
For more Cars fun, check out the official Cars site.
|/>||For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|