Make it a candy cane Christmas for your little ones with these melt-in-your-mouth, delicious peppermint meringue kisses! So easy to make the traditional way or sugar- and dye-free!
I’m all about giving my little ones lots of treats over the holidays, without the worry of loading them up on sugar. Plus, if we’re being honest here…I’m happy to eat treats that aren’t going to buzz my brain out and land directly on my posterior! How about you? Thought so. Now for that ridiculously easy recipe…
What You’ll Need:
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup powdered coconut sugar (simply whizz in a coffee blender until you’ve reached a powdery consistency!)
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 12 drops red gel-paste food colouring, or make your own natural food dye!
How You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 175 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and fit a pastry bag with a small star tip. (Or use a Ziploc bag, snip the corner and twist it to give the swirled effect.)
- Making the meringues: Using a stand or hand electric mixer, beat the egg whites (whisk attachment), and salt on medium-high speed until white and foamy, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add powdered coconut sugar in 3 additions beating fora couple of minutes between each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Add peppermint extract; beat to blend.
- Using a small (clean or new), paintbrush, paint 2 or 3 stripes of red food colouring inside the pastry bag. Fill bag with 1 to 2 cups meringue. Pipe small (3/4-inch-high) kiss shapes onto parchment lines baking sheets. Refill bag as necessary, adding food coloring each time.
- Bake until crisp (don’t brown!), about 2 hours. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks in the oven, for another full hour!