Presented in cellophane gift bags, these handcrafted soap blossoms make perfect princess-themed shower favors. For supplies, you’ll need little more than microwavable glycerin soap and a flower-shaped fondant cutter.
- Waxed paper
- Baking pan (about 4 1/4- by 7-inches or similar size)
- Kitchen knife
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds opaque glycerin soap (sold in craft stores and online)
- Large glass measuring cup or other microwaveable container with a pouring spout
- Wooden spoon or craft stick
- Pink soap dye
- Soap scent (optional)
- Flower-shaped fondant or cookie cutter (about 2 3/8-inches wide)
- Round fondant cutter (about 1/2-inch) for cutting out the flower centers
- Small cellophane gift bags
- Curly lavender ribbon
1. Line the pan with waxed paper and set it aside.
2. Cut two-fifths of the glycerin soap into cubes and put them in the measuring cup. Melt the soap in the microwave according to the directions on the package. Stir in enough drops of soap dye to get the shade of pink you like. Stir in some soap scent, too, if you like.
3. Pour the melted soap into the lined pan and let it cool for about 15 to 18 minutes (it should be firm but still soft enough to cut easily). Lift the waxed paper to remove the soap from the pan and set it on a flat surface, paper and all.
4. Re-line the pan with new waxed paper and prepare a second batch of soap as you did the first, this time using a little more dye to create a deeper shade of pink.
5. While the second batch of soap cools, cut out as many flower shapes as you can from the first batch. Then use the small round fondant cutter to cut a center hole in each flower. Set the round cutouts aside for now. Cut more flower shapes from the second batch when it’s ready, and again cut a center hole in each one.
6. Now fill in the center holes with the round cutouts, inserting the light pink soap circles into the darker pink flowers and vice versa. You can also cut out some white centers from the remaining un-melted soap (sliced to the same thickness as the flowers), if you like. Tip: To ensure that each center fits snuggly enough to hold in place, use your thumb to gently press down on the top just enough to slightly flatten it prior to inserting it in a flower.
7. For each favor, package a pair of flower soaps in a cellophane gift bag tied with a curly lavender ribbon.
For more Princess fun, check out the official Disney Princess site.
|/>||For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|