Growing up, my family would always make cajeta as a sweet treat for us to enjoy. Cajeta is basically a type of dulce de leche (or caramel). I always looked forward to enjoying this dessert, because it is so delicious and my parents would always let me help make it. Now that Liam is getting older and he’s wanting to help in the kitchen, I thought it would be the perfect time to introduce him to cajeta. So we recently visited my grandmother, who makes the best cajeta, and Liam helped her whip some up. />
Making cajeta is incredibly simple, but you still have to do it just right. I can’t tell you how many times I ended up burning a perfectly good batch of cajeta because I was careless. You have to pay close attention. Check out the recipe below:
Ingredients and Materials:
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Sauce pan
- Empty the condensed milk into the sauce pan.
- Put it on medium-low heat.
- Stir continuously. Seriously, do not stop stirring! If you don’t keep it up, you may burn the milk on the bottom of the pan.
- My abuelita likes to add 2 tbsp. of butter to the milk for some added yumminess and so the milk won’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the mixture is thick enough, remove from the heat and scoop it into a bowl.
- Let it cool before enjoying.