Give the expectant mom a huge head start with this diaper-packed shower decoration.
- 54 Huggies (Little Snugglers) diapers
- 54 small rubber bands
- 10 large rubber bands
- Three 7-inch-long wooden dowel lengths
- Wide red ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Wide black-and-white checkered ribbon or vinyl tape
- Template for Cars Diaper Cake
- Cardstock, yellow, black, and white
- Glue stick
- Thin red ribbon or decorative cord
- Large sticker letters (about 1 1/4-inch tall) or red marker
1. One at a time, open each diaper, roll it up snuggly, and secure it with a small rubber band.
2. Now create the top layer of the “cake” by standing a single rolled diaper on end and encircling it with five more. Bind the six diapers together with two large rubber bands, positioning one an inch or so from the top of the diaper circle and the other equidistant from the bottom. Next, arrange twelve additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place with another pair of large rubber bands. Tip: Face the loose ends of the rolled diapers toward the center of the cake so the outside looks smooth and uniform.
3. For the bottom layer, repeat step 2. Then arrange eighteen additional diapers around the circumference and bind them in place.
4. Stack the two cake layers and secure them together by inserting the wooden dowel lengths between the diapers in three places and gently pushing them down so that they aren’t visible from the cake top.
5. Decorate the assembled cake by tightly wrapping long strips of wide red ribbon around each of the two layers, using a bit of hot glue to hold the overlapped ends together. Top the red ribbon with checkered ribbon or vinyl tape.
6. For the cake top decorations, print the Cars Diaper Cake template on white card stock and cut out the pieces. Trace the lightning bolt pieces onto yellow card stock and cut out the tracing. Use a pushpin to make a small hole in the top of each yellow bolt and then thread the two of them together with a piece of thin red ribbon. Tuck the center of the ribbon between two of the diapers on the top of the cake so that the bolts dangle over the sides.
7. Use sticker letters or a marker to spell BABY on the cardstock license plate. Then fold down the tab at the top and insert the end between two diapers so that the plate stands upright atop the cake.
For more Cars fun, check out the official Cars site.
|For more inspiration to help plan the perfect baby shower, take a look at the Huggies Baby Shower Pinterest page.|