More on Disney Baby
Create magical moments with these inspired ideas and feel-good products.
6 "Abuela" Remedies
I lived with my grandmother (that’s abuela in Spanish) for most of my life — she was like a second mother to me. It seems like my grandma always had a remedy for any ailment I was facing. Some of them may seem silly, and maybe they were just old wives’ tales (or old abuela tales) — but some of them actually work!
Below is a list I compiled of some “abuela remedies” from my own grandmother and the grandmothers of some of my friends.
- With summer coming up, you might be spending a lot of time outside and could risk getting stung by a bee. But fear not, rub some cut-up raw garlic on that sting, and you’ll be fine!
- Did your toddler bump his head? Take a slice of potato and rub it where he bumped his head and no bump will appear. I have a friend who swears by this.
- Have a cough that’s driving you crazy? Boil milk with 2 – 3 leaves of oregano and drink up.
- If anyone in your family gets a minor burn that doesn’t break the skin put some white toothpaste on it… it will numb the pain and prevent blistering.
- Hiccups are annoying. But every abuela in Miami knows all you have to do to get rid of hiccups is use some spit to stick a string on your forehead… those hiccups will be gone in no time.
- For earaches, take a clove of garlic, wrap it in cotton, and warm it up in the microwave. Stick it in the ear, and soon the pain will be gone. I used to suffer from earaches as a child, and this always worked for me.
Disclaimer: None of our abuelas are medical doctors, so be sure to seek the advice of a medical professional before using any kind of treatment/remedy you read here or anywhere on the internet. This is just for fun.