We live in Miami, so lucky for us, a Disney vacation is always only a four-hour car ride away. Many Miamians have annual passes and drive up to Disney World in Orlando every chance that they get. My kids are just now getting to an age where they really enjoy the parks, so we took them up to Disney World for the second time this past weekend.
Since it’s so hot outside, we decided to try one of the water parks this time. We chose Typhoon Lagoon and had an amazing time. My kids love the water, and they had so much fun splashing around. Here are five tips I picked up if you plan to take your kids to a Disney water park soon.
- Pack some snacks and drinks. The park had a few concession stands with great food (I had the shrimp basket for lunch and it was to die for) but it’s also a good idea to bring a cooler with a few snacks and drinks so you don’t have to keep running to the food stand. Kids can work up quite the appetite out there.
- Bring a couple of sand toys. Typhoon Lagoon has a large sand area, and my son had fun digging and making sand castles. If you forget the sand toys, don’t fret — order a kid’s meal from the food stand and it will come with a bucket and shovel! Too cute.
- Take a nap on the Lazy River. I was a little concerned about my kids missing nap time. I didn’t want to have to rush out of the park with exhausted angry children. But then we decided to go down the lazy river, and it was amazing! My son ended up knocking out as we went peacefully down the river. It was just the right little power nap to keep him going for a few more hours of water fun.
- Rent a locker. Trust me. You don’t want to walk around the whole park carrying everything you own. Rent a locker and keep most of your stuff in there as you enjoy the park. Tie the key around your swimsuit so you don’t lose it.
- Keep an eye out for Disney characters. Typically there are no characters at the water parks, BUT we did find Lilo taking photos next to the gift shop. It was fun to be able to meet her and take a photo. So you never know — keep an eye out, and you may get to meet a Disney character.