More on Disney Baby
Create magical moments with these inspired ideas and feel-good products.
10 Ways to Make Summer Magical on a Budget
We’ve been enjoying our summer days over here. Some days we’ve opted to stay indoors in an attempt to escape the heat. Other days we’ve bravely ventured beyond our front door in an effort to enjoy the California sunshine. This summer we haven’t done any traveling, choosing to go on a few “local adventures” instead. Between a part-time summer program for our oldest and moving, we decided that we would save up for some family goals and plan for our daughters’ upcoming birthdays in August and in September.
With a toddler and big kid in tow we’ve still managed to make summer feel pretty magical even on a budget. We’ve shared small moments that made for some big memories. Summer will be over soon but there’s still time to partake in some family fun without “breaking the bank.” Here are 10 ways to make summer feel magical on a budget:
- Enjoy a cold treat – Going out for ice cream or some other frozen goodness always feels like a treat. We’ve had a few spontaneous ice cream and frozen yogurt adventures. Our time in the shop allows for talking, sharing flavors and occasionally a little instagramming for mom. (or have an ice cream party at home).
- Go to a splash pad – Going to the splash pad is a fun outing that doesn’t require much more than a swimsuit, towel, sunscreen and water shoes.
- Head to the beach – If you aren’t opposed to a little sand in between your little one’s toes (or the seats of your car) the beach is always a fun summer outing. Save by packing a picnic lunch.
- Have a picnic – Eating outdoors can be a lot of fun, particularly at the park (or outside on your patio). Pack foods and snacks that are easy for little hands to grab and if you’ve got a runner you may want to swap your sandals for running shoes.
- Blow bubbles – Babies and toddlers love bubbles. One jar of soapy water can entertain them for a long period of time.
- Enjoy a few treats synonymous with summer – Watermelon and berries are amongst our favorite treats. Even more fun — going to a Farmer’s Market to get them (and sample some new fruit and veggie fare).
- Cook together – Make a special treat to enjoy together such as a fruit salad. Take turns tossing favorite fruits in a bowl, stir and enjoy!
- Get messy! – Let your little ones get messy creating masterpieces then go outside and clean off using the water hose.
- Have a movie night – Have a family movie night – don’t forget the snacks!
- Go indoor camping – Pitch a tent indoors. One of my favorite memories with my girls was putting up our tent for the day in the living room and later eating pizza in it.
What are some other ways to enjoy the season without spending a lot of money?